Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Another Vanity Update

So I began stripping the pink vanity because I had a sneaking suspicion that there was some beautiful wood underneath. It has been a slow and tedious process, but I think it is well worth it. Typically I prefer painted and distressed furniture, but this wood is far too pretty to leave covered up.


 


Look at the beautiful flowers I found on the top drawer! What a pleasant surprise. 


The drawers were the first things I began stripping...and you can see why I went on to do the whole thing!

I started out with an ancient container of old stripper that was practically jello consistency. Not good. I knew there had to be an easier way. There is. I got this Klean-Strip aerosol stuff and I seriously should have bought stock, because I've spent more on stripper than I did on the vanity. There are empty cans everywhere. But is IS the best way to get into all of the nooks and crannies of old intricate furniture. It has been worth it.

Now there is nothing special about the formula. It's not green, it's not safe, and it will seriously burn the crap out of you if you get it on bare skin. But this thing had 5 layers of paint, so there was no alternative. It is just convenient and it works. I wish I would have just sucked it up and tried this in the first place instead of trying a "green" method of using washing soda and water. That made a HUGE mess and was very difficult to get off. Anyeho, I'll post pics after it has a rich stain and smooth poly coat. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment